NIB’s Cisco Academy
National Industries for the Blind is launching the United States’ first Cisco Academy designed to meet the needs of people who are blind! The NIB Cisco Academy provides training opportunities in the high-demand field of cybersecurity.
Key Components of the NIB Cisco Academy
- Accessibility. The NIB Cisco Academy has been adapted to accommodate the learning styles of people who are blind.
- Professional Certification. Participants who complete the NIB Cisco Academy become Cisco Certified Network Associates, a certification recognized throughout the IT industry.
- Workplace Preparation. Students attending the NIB Cisco Academy participate in workshops and one-on-one consultations on topics from resume writing and mock interviews, to professional networking and workplace etiquette.
- Paid Internship. After earning their Cisco Certified Network Associate certification, participants are offered a three-month paid internship with a Fortune 1000 company.
What is the schedule for the current program?
The 40-week instructor-led training program is conducted using a virtual classroom two days per week, from 6:00-9:00 p.m. Eastern Time. Students study and complete lab assignments on their own time.
Who is eligible for the NIB Cisco Academy?
- The NIB Cisco Academy is exclusively for people who are blind. Medical documentation of legal blindness is required.
- Applicants should have a four-year college degree, preferably with a focus in Computer Science, or comparable work experience in the IT field building mainframes or computers in a lab, or teaching computer security, or as certified IT employees.
- Applicants must be able to commit to an intensive 40-week training program and be legally authorized to work in the U.S.
To apply, please complete the application form and submit to Rikki Howie firstname.lastname@example.org.