NIB’s Cisco Academy
National Industries for the Blind is launching the first Cisco Academy in the United States customized for individuals who are blind! The Cisco Academy provides training and well-paying employment opportunities in cybersecurity.
Key Components of the NIB Cisco Academy
- Accessibility – an accessible academy that has been adapted for different learning styles for individuals who are blind.
- Certification – upon completion, participants receive an IT industry and professionally recognized Cisco certification.
- Work Readiness – Students participate in workshops and one-on-one consultations that address topics such as resume writing, networking, mock interviews, and workplace etiquette that often take place with potential employers.
- Internships that provide students with opportunities to apply skills in the workplace.
What is the schedule for the current program?
The program will have 40 weeks of virtual classroom-based training beginning in October followed by internships provided by companies in the industry. Classes will run virtually two days a week from 6:00 p.m.- 9:00 p.m. Eastern Time. Courses are instructor led and include lab time and self-study.
What are the qualification requirements?
- Interested candidates must provide documentation of legal blindness.
- The first cohort is designed for partially sighted participants who can read computer screens below 8x magnification and who also do not rely on screen readers to navigate. After the completion of our first 40-week track, we are going to then schedule training for screen reader users.
- 4 year college degree with a preferred focus in Computer Science. Comparable work experience in the IT field building mainframes or computers in a lab, teaching computer security courses or certifications in IT.
- Must be able to commit to an intensive 40-week, training program, and be legally authorized to work in the USA.
- What is the cost to attend? We are working with partner organizations to minimize training costs for individuals with disabilities who qualify for training. Once information is available, we will review resources with participants.
- Where will the class be held? The training is going to be provided virtually.
To apply, please complete the application form and submit to Rikki Howie firstname.lastname@example.org.